Best Disc Golf Sets Compared: A Complete Guide
Disc golf is an exciting game that has become popular these days among youngsters and adults. It is easy to learn and does not require prior experience to get started.
Other than fun, disc golf is free, a great way to socialize, get outdoors, and stay mentally and physically fit.
In order to begin playing disc golf, you need to have the right golf discs to play with. If you are new to the sport, this can be overwhelming given the number of golf discs available in the market.
It may be hard to find the best disc golf set, particularly if your disc selection knowledge is just limited. But do not worry because we will help you find the best disc golf set to get you started. Having the best disc
golf set to start out will give you a leg up getting out on the course. Purchasing a set takes the guess work out of disc selection and having to worry about choosing the ‘right’ discs. Disc golf sets are usually
geared toward newer players. Having said that, everyone can find value when looking for disc golf sets as most of the time the discs included in a set are of the most popular of the brand.
Best Disc Golf Set Recommendations for Beginners
Innova DX Standard Starter Set
- PERFECT BEGINNER SET - Selected by experienced disc golfers at Innova, the leader in Disc Sports, this set is designed for new players. Innova Disc Golf 5 Disc Set and Mini Disc in Beginner-Friendly Easy to Throw Weights (160-180g), Colors Will Vary
- IMPROVE YOUR GAME - The disc models in this set allow you to hit the course and play your best from the get-go. Keep your drives in the fairway, throw reliable approaches, and make those center chain putts more often. Your scores will show the difference with the right discs in your hands.
- IDEAL DISC CHOICES - Set Includes: Aviar Putter – The #1 putter in disc golf - A consistent World Champion. The Roc3 - a straight disc for controlled approach shots and mid-range drives. The Leopard – a great first fairway driver. The TeeBird - an accurate stable fairway driver. The Destroyer - offers beginners a faster driver with more distance glide. Ideal for forehand throws and performs well into headwinds.
- SPECIAL EDITION MINI - Also included is a Special Edition **Stars** Logo Mini Disc for marking your shots before you throw from your lie (where your throw landed), a standard for play out on the course.
- INNOVA DISC GOLF - Innova offers the most complete line of golf discs. The precision molded discs meet the demands of any shot regardless of the player’s skill level. Innova discs offer the superior ‘feel’ for confident shot making. The discs fly great right out of the package and wear in slowly to become your trusted favorites.
Innova has been in the fitness equipment business since 1983 and remains a popular brand of choice today. Continually serving its customer base, the company has ventured into disc golf products and accessories while at the same time meeting the highest quality standards.
The Innova DX standard starter set is one of the brand’s most popular products. The pack comes with the Leopard driver, Shark mid-range, and the Aviar putt-and-approach. For a price below $30, you now have golf discs approved by the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA) to get the most out of your beginner’s sessions.
The discs are made of DX plastic, designed to work in different weather conditions. The discs are lightweight and known for their comfortable grip. Every beginner knows that the Innova Dx Standard Starter set has superb performance and easy is to throw straight.
With 3 discs and a free video guide, you can now start as a newbie disc golf player.
Discraft Disc Golf Set Starter Pack
- Includes (1) driver, (1) mid-range and (1) putter.
- Ideal for all skill levels
- PDGA approved
- Models and plastic blends may vary
- High performance disc golf gear, makes an excellent gift for the disc golfer in your life.
Discraft Disc Golf starter pack set is another recommended set for beginners who need a complete set of discs to begin their disc golf starter course. Your purchase of this set comes with Magnet, the putter, Buzzz mid-range, and Avenger, Heat, or Stratus driver made of plastic blended materials. These discs are light enough and designed with a comfortable grip to maximize their use while on the field.
For the price, this starter pack has decent quality and durability to last until you get confident with your disc golf skills. The discs in the set work well as expected like the putter that shows a great straight flight for more accuracy.
The price is about the same as Innova DX, an ideal solution for beginners who are ready to have fun but working on a budget.
Dynamic Discs Disc Golf Starter Pack
- Beginners: Adults and kids starter set, mid-weight (170-180g) neutral discs, not prone to overturn, great for beginners and intermediate players
- Driver: Escape disc gives easy control for all skill levels, flies straight at low speeds, Maverick disc has narrow rim great for low ceilings and tunnel shots, Trespass disc distance driver, wide rim for high speed distances
- Midrange: EMAC Truth disc is a straight flying midrange disc for maximum control when you are not in the fairway range and too far to throw a putter
- Putter: Judge putter disc is predictable in flying and hitting chains, flies straight and glides
- Quality: PDGA Approved, high-end plastic, excellent grip for consistent throws, Bonus Mini disc to mark your lie on the fairway, Colors will Vary
The Dynamic Discs Golf starter kit provides novice disc golf players with neutral discs that are easy to throw. Buying this set is great value as this comes with 3 high quality discs and a backpack to carry your disc golf essentials conveniently.
The discs are of high-end plastic to ensure lasting use while learning how the game is played. Being beginner-friendly, the discs are designed to ensure these do not easily turn over while at the same time providing an excellent feel in the hands.
Use the putter for scoring, the mid-range for precision shots, and the driver for longer shots until you become a pro in no time.
Divergent Discs Beginner Starter Pack
- DISC GOLF SET - Includes a Putter, Midrange Disc, and Golf Driver Disc for disc golf beginners or players with slower arm speed
- NARWHAL - Putt and Approach Disc, easy to throw when putting or to use as a driving putter (3,3,-2,0.5)
- LEVIATHAN - Midrange Disc, understable with a fade-resistant flight (5,4,-4,0)
- KRAKEN - Fairway Disc Golf Driver, push the distance of your throw and improve precision and accuracy (6,5,-2,1)
- PREMIUM MAX GRIP PLASTIC - Made from durable materials, disc golf disc colors and weights may vary
The name may not be as famous as the first three brands, but this best disc golf set is on the list because of the value it gives to newbies who are just starting to love the sport. The discs are designed to exactly handle the needs of a novice player.
The discs are turn-over friendly allowing new players to develop the skills, technique, and confidence on the disc golf field. As for the discs’ performance, all show pretty good flight patterns.
Although the disc quality is not PDGA-approved, this disc set is still a good choice for those who simply want to have fun or practice indoors or outdoors.
Discmania 3 Disc Starter Set
- MEGA DISTANCE SET – Includes 3 high speed distance drivers: Mentor, Astronaut, and Majesty. If you’re looking to break new distance records, the Mega Distance set has all the tools you need to throw the farthest shots on the course!
- ACTIVE PREMIUM PLASTIC – Made from durable premium plastic. Active Premium plastic is firm and grippy plastic also bring great durability and performance for all skill levels.
- MENTOR – Flight ratings: Speed 11, Glide 5, Turn -2, Fade 2. The Mentor has been designed to optimize the distance players can achieve by combining a high speed turn and slow speed stability to make a distance driver that can be used by all players.
- ASTRONAUT – Flight ratings: Speed 12, Glide 5, Turn -4, Fade 2. The Astronaut has been created to unleash maximum distance for players of all skill levels, especially people moving towards their first high speed driver.
- MAJESTY – Flight ratings: Speed 13, Glide 5, Turn -2, Fade 2. The Majesty is a true speed 13 disc capable of handling a wide variety of shot patterns. You may find it useful as one of your first high speed overstable drivers.
The set comes with a putt and approach disc, a mid-range, and a driver, designed for a beginner to handle well throughout the skill development process.
The discs are lightweight and excellent for beginners or those with slow arm speed. It would be easier for newbies to learn the proper throwing techniques because the weight of the discs is really fitting for beginners. And did I mention that these discs are PDGA-approved? Yes, plus these are made of high-quality plastic material for comfortable grip and performance even in a variety of conditions.
Why Choose A Disc Golf Set
Buying a disc golf set will help you get the best disc golf discs in one package. For example, if you are a beginner and with little knowledge about the sport, you do not have to put too much effort into choosing the best putter, mid-range, and control driver. Instead, disc golf equipment companies have put everything in one pack to get you started.
Besides, buying the best disc golf set is usually cheaper than buying the discs separately. It may not be much but disc golf sets are packed and meant to build your ability to learn how to throw farther and with more power.
How to Choose the Best Disc Golf Set
Buying the best disc golf set for beginners adds value to your money because choosing the best of each disc putter, mid-range, and other types of discs can be difficult. Instead of buying per piece which can be costly, why not buy a pack that has all the main discs that you need?
Other than the process being costly and time-consuming, buying all your much-needed discs from one brand ensures that you will be acquainted with the basics of the sport without disruption or having to adjust to differently-designed discs from other brands.
For beginners, always select the best disc golf set with discs that are beginner-friendly in terms of design and weight. These discs should be lightweight and glide through during the throw without much power and speed.
With so many brands available in the market, it is always a good idea to go with established brands or have carved their names in this niche sport.
The game’s rules are pretty straightforward but choosing the best disc golf set can sometimes be overwhelming. Given the dozens of brands in the market, it can be hard to find the right golf disc for you.
But this issue can be fixed through the help of reviews or recommendations online and from disc golf players within your circle. Whether it is for leisure, fitness, relaxation, or serious learning hoping to be a professional player soon, do not forget your needs, preferences, and other factors when it comes to choosing the best disc golf set.
I hope that the above recommendations would help should you decide to pick a new golf set for you or your loved ones. But surely, these recommendations would narrow down your choices and help you get the best disc golf set.
And regardless of your chosen brand, a disc golf set will aid in the developmental process you gain during your practice sessions.