A Guide to the Best Disc Golf Discs of All Time
When it comes to playing disc golf, the type of disc that you use will dictate the accuracy of your strokes and the outcome of the game. So, whether you’re a beginner at this sport or not, investing in the right disc golf discs is a must. Fortunately, you have a lot of good options on the market today. Check out our list of the best disc golf discs ever!
The different types of disc golf discs
Disc golf discs are categorized into four according to their design, speed, and ability to fly through the air. Choosing the best one for your style of play will help you get the best outcome in every game:
- Putters. Putting and approach discs are designed for their specific purpose, which is to help you make shorter but controlled shots and putts. These disc golf discs offer accuracy and dependability as well as boosts your confidence when making putts during games.
- MidRange. The most beginner friendly type of disc golf disc, the midrange disc is designed for accuracy, control, and flexibility for a wide variety of shots. Having a midrange disc means that you can make drives and midrange shots using a single disc, and you can also adjust your approaches and putting depending on your strategy. This makes the midrange disc a must-have for every player no matter what the skill level.
- Fairway drivers. Designed primarily to give you more control of your disc than a distance driver. Fairway drivers are a type of disc golf disc that can produce longer shots as compared to midrange discs. This makes it easier to use for beginners than a midrange for driving longer holes off the tee. If you desire consistency and control on your longer throws, this is a great choice.
- Distance drivers. From the name itself, this type of disc golf disc is designed for maximum distance. Depending on the type, you can choose from distance drivers that fly straight or those that travel left (overstable) or right (understable). Disc drivers are a favorite since they offer the best speed, distance, and glide. It is important to note, distance drivers may not be best for newer players or players with slower arm speeds. They require alot of power to achieve the correct flight path when thrown then a slower speed disc. But, if you do have the arm speed to throw them correctly, they offer the greatest distance.
The best disc golf discs for 2023
- Best overall disc: Innova Disc Golf Star Destroyer: Flight Numbers (12,5,-1,3)
Innova has always been a go-to brand for a lot of disc golf players because of the durability, quality, and flexibility of its disc, and the Innova Disc Golf Star Destroyer ranks high as one of its best disc golf dics ever.
This disc golf disc is made with high-end, durable plastic that can hold up to constant use and still be efficient during games. Although it’s designed for long-distance driving, the Innova Disc Golf Star Destroyer is also flexible enough to be used for different types of shots since it can hold up well against headwinds and its size and weight gives it just the right off-axis torque.
This disc golf disc also comes in a wide range of retro designs and colors making it a great collectible for serious disc golf players. For its price point, the Star Destroyer is a great investment, although it’s not suitable for beginners and not the best option for slower arm speeds.
- Package quantity: 1
- Country of Origin: United States
- No batteries required
- Product Type: SPORTING GOODS
- Best for beginners: Dynamic Discs Disc Golf Starter Set
If you’re looking for something that will get you a good head start at playing disc golf, then this starter set is a perfect choice. You can choose from a three-piece, four-piece, or five-piece set, and each of these sets already includes every type of disc that you’ll need as a beginner—a distance driver, a midrange disc, and a putter.
If you opt for the larger sets, you also get a fairway disc and a high-speed driver, which you can use later on when you’ve already mastered the basics of disc golf.
- BEST BEGINNER SET - This starter set is perfect for new players. The Dynamic Discs Prime Burst Starter Set comes with everything you need to play disc golf. Inside you will find five of the most popular discs from Dynamic Discs along with a Burst Mini.
- BECOME A BETTER DISC GOLFER- The disc molds in this set were handpicked by World Champions at Dynamic Discs and are everything you need to head to the course and improve. Improve your scores with the correct disc in your hands.
- EXEMPLARY DISC CHOICES- Set includes the 2013 disc of the year, the Judge disc golf putter. World Champion's choice EMAC Truth midrange. The Escape fairway driver meant for straight and accurate shots.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE- 100% Money Back Guarantee. If you are not satisfied with this set, return it for a full refund! Weight ranges 170-176g. Colors and Stamp Colors WILL VARY. Mini disc may have a "Judge" Stamp or "Trilogy" Stamp
- DYNAMIC DISCS - Dynamic Discs offers the most consistent flying discs in all of disc golf. If you lose a disc, pick up the same mold and have the confidence that it will fly just like your old one.
- Best disc golf putter: Innova DX Aviar Putt and Approach : Flight Numbers (2,3,0,1)
With a 0 turn rating and 2 overall ratings, the Innova DX Aviar Putt and Approach disc offers accuracy and consistency for your puts because of its straight flight path.
Designed to help you make the best final approaches and puts during the game, the DX Aviar Putt and Approach comes in different weights depending on your requirements, and it comes at a price point that’s reasonable enough for the quality of the disc that you’re getting.
- Best choice for: Short to medium drives, Accuracy approaches and Placement shots
- The Classic Aviar has a firm grip and is our straightest flying Aviar model from start to finish; Reliable in all conditions and is excellent for drives, approach shots and putts
- Colors may vary
- DX material offers widest selection of weights
- Speed 2, Glide 3, Turn 0 and Fade 0
- Best midrange disc: Discraft Buzzz Elite Z : Flight Numbers ( 5,4,-1,1)
Having a good quality midrange disc is a must for every disc golf player and the Discraft Buzzz Elite Z is considered one of the best out there. Offering incredible accuracy and stability, this disc is perfect for taking those medium-distance shots.
It is also made of highly durable materials that you can expect it to last for a long time even with constant use. And with its robust design, you can expect that the Discraft Buzzz Elite Z will give you excellent control no matter what your skill level is as a player.
- Mid-range golf driver
- Recommended for all skill levels
- Best for accuracy in all conditions
- Discraft stability rating for this disc is 0.5
- Disc colors will vary
- Best fairway driver: Discmania C-Line FD Fairway Driver : Flight Numbers ( 7,6,0,1)
With a 0 rating for a turn, 6 for glide, and 7 for speed, the Discmania C-Line FD Fairway Driver is highly recommended by the top disc golf disc players today.
One of the best in the market for making those straight shots, you can guarantee that this disc will follow an accurate straight flight path even if you’re not the strongest thrower out there. The Discmania C-Line FD Fairway Driver is perfect for both novices and professionals who want an accurate shot down the fairway.
- FLIGHT RATINGS - Speed 7, Glide 6, Turn 0, Fade 1
- REINVENTED – The FD. Discmania’s first fairway driver and most iconic Discmania mold out there. A super versatile disc with a surprising amount of glide.
- A DRIVER FOR EVERYONE - Famous for its extremely straight flight path combined with high glide and controllability, the FD has a place in everyone’s bag. New players will fall in love with the FD’s straight-to-stable flight path and dependability off the tee. For players with some experience, the FD offers point-and-shoot accuracy that connects you with your target at ease.
- STRAIGHT FLIGHT - If you are having trouble hitting the fairway with max speed drivers, take a step back, let the glide take you there, and the straight flight will place you in the middle of the fairway. The C-line version tends to settle on the more overstable end of the FD spectrum, meaning it can handle a lot of power while maintaining a straight flight path.
- Colors Will Vary
- Best distance driver: Innova Champion Discs Star Wraith : Flight Numbers ( 11, 5 ,-1, 3)
Another smart innovation from Innova, this disc golf disc weighs between 165-169 grams and it’s designed to give you the farthest distance possible given the different factors that could affect its flight.
With a rating of 5 for glide and 11 for speed, this distance driver can withstand strong headwinds to produce a consistent distance and it also offers a good grip that will help you throw the disc easily and with better control.
The Innova Champion Discs Star Wraith is both fast and stable, so you can expect great precision even if you’re playing in less ideal weather. This distance driver is also designed to be controlled by both beginners and professionals, and it can deliver for a long time because it’s made with only the best materials.
- Best choice for: Long Hyzers, Tailwind Drives and Long distance with great control
- A long and fast distance driver. A stable flyer that performs predictably into the wind. Is suitable for beginners and pros alike
- Colors may vary
- Star material offers great grip and performance
- Speed 11, Glide 5, Turn -1 and Fade 3
Choosing the best disc golf discs for you
These are just some of the best disc golf discs that are available on the market today. But the choice of what will work best for you will depend highly on factors like your style of play, your need on the field, and of course, what you feel most comfortable playing in. Just like any sport, having the right tools and equipment will definitely enhance your game in a lot of ways.
So, if you’re ready to invest in your own set of discs, make sure to do some extensive research, trust brands that have dominated the market, find recommendations like this, and make sure that you choose discs that you can really use to improve your game.
Buying a disc golf disc is definitely an investment. But if you make the right choices, you can make use of your set of discs for a very long time. Whether you’re a beginner or a professional, investing in good-quality discs is definitely a must.